Steps for Adopting a New Pet During the COVID-19 Pandemic
While social distancing requirements have changed how animal shelters approach the adoption process, COVID-19 hasn’t changed the fact that pets need good homes. For example, many shelters are allowing drive-up adoptions, but you’ll still need to go through an application process before getting a new pet. If you’re looking to bring a pet into your home right now, here’s everything you’ll need to consider beforehand.
- Think about whether you’ll still have enough time for your pet once the pandemic is over.
- If you won’t have enough time for a dog, consider other pets that need less attention.
- Once you’ve decided on a type of pet, think about accessories you might want to buy.
- Learn how to pick a good pet food so you have everything on hand before adopting.
- Consider reaching out to pet sitters to see who’s available if you take trips in the future.
- Make sure there is a veterinarian in your area who has experience with your type of pet.
- Before adopting, take some time to pet-proof your home to remove any hazards.
- Once you’ve done your research, Dorchester Paws can help you find your new pet!
- You can also adopt a pet on sites like Craigslist as long as you look out for red flags.
- After adoption, give your new pet time to adjust to his new surroundings.
- Pick out some healthy, nutritional wet food for your new arrival.
- If you already have other pets, be sure to introduce them slowly to avoid stress.
- Be sure to buy a few safe and entertaining toys to keep your pet busy.
- Hire professional cleaners to take care of lingering odors or stubborn stains.
With the amount of time you’re probably spending at home right now, it’s a great opportunity to bond with a new companion. Before getting started, be sure to spend some time preparing your home and researching everything your pet will need once you bring him home.
Again, if you’re interested in adopting an animal, please get in touch with Dorchester Paws.
Written by Aurora James at dogetiquette.info.