For many people, surrendering a pet can be emotionally upsetting. Dorchester Paws staff and volunteers recognize this may be a very difficult time for you and your family. We are here to assist you and care for your pet if you must surrender. After working with the shelter, you may find there are other alternatives to surrendering your pet.
Before Surrendering Your Pet
- Try to find your pet a new home yourself by asking friends and family
- Post on websites such as rehome.adoptapet.com
If surrender is your only option, take these steps:
- Contact our admissions department by emailing email@example.com. Appointments MUST be made at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Staff will speak with you about your situation.
- Bring your pet’s vet records, your driver’s license and proof of Dorchester County residency to your appointment.
- A behavioral and medical exam will be performed on day of appointment.
- Upon surrender, you MUST fill out a pet profile for the animal.
Owner Surrender Fees are:
- $125 per animal
What Will Happen to My Pet When I Surrender Them?
Your pet will be compassionately cared for during their stay at Dorchester Paws. A further behavioral and medical exam will be performed to identify the animal’s adoptability into a new home. When you surrender your pet, you are giving up all legal ownership rights to the animal. These rights and responsibility are transferred to Dorchester Paws. We take this responsibility very seriously.
If you have any questions regarding owner surrenders, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your email as soon as possible, but please allow 24-78 hours for responses.
136 Four Paws Lane
Summerville, SC 29483
Monday: 12pm – 5pm
Tuesday: 12pm – 5pm
Wednesday: 12pm – 5pm
Thursday: 12pm – 5pm
Friday: 1pm – 7pm
Saturday: 12pm – 7pm
Sunday: 12pm – 5pm
Serving Dorchester County, South Carolina since 1972